Sunday, April 24, 2011

Sweet and Sour Chicken and "No-Crab - Rangoons"


Looks good right??? It tastes even better!
When people think of a traditional Chinese food meal, the first thing that may come to mind is high fat, MSG, tons of calories, deep fried goodness, etc. Chinese food is by far my favorite type of junk food, the only problem is that when ever I eat it, I somehow wake up the next morning 3 pounds heaver. In my case, I want to lose weight, but there's no way that I am willing to give up my favorite food. So I moved to the next possibility :  making Chinese food healthy. A traditional meal of sweet and sour chicken paired with crab rangoons is well over 1,000 calories and 40 grams of fat. I don't know about you, but if I ate that, I wouldn't have enough calories to eat for the rest of my day! I'm going to break down the two recipes in-case you want to make them separately. In this picture, I heated up some brown  rice to pair it with, I hope I don't need to give you instructions for the 90 second uncle ben's brown rice!


Sweet and Sour Chicken


Ingredients:

- 1 lb of raw chicken cut up to desired size
- 12 oz sweet and sour sauce
- 14 oz of fat free chicken broth
- 1 onion diced up
- 1 yellow pepper diced up
- 1/2 cup of shelled frozen edamane (soy beans)
- 2 table spoons on brown sugar
- 8 oz can of pineapple chunks

Directions:

Combine everything in the crockpot and place on high for about 2-3 hours, or until the chicken and vegetables look cooked through. That's it!


Nutrition Information for 1 serving (1 cup) - This recipe should make 8 servings


Calories- 164 
Carbs- 24 
Fat- 1
Protein - 14
Sodium - 532
Fiber - 2


No-Crab Rangoons - (I got this recipe from hungry girl except I took out the crab because imitation crab just creeps me out for some reason... but feel free to use it if you're daring enough!)

Ingredients:


- 1/4 cup of fat free cream cheese
- 2 wedges of laughing cow cheese (I used the French Onion kind)
- 1 garlic clove diced small
- Pinch of garlic powder and onion powder
- Scallions sliced
- 1 tsp of low sodium soy sauce 
- 16 nasoya wonton wrappers per batch (you can find them in the tofu section of the grocery store)


 Directions:


Combine all of the ingredients except the wontons in a bowl and let it sit out until soft (about an hour). Mix well. Preheat oven to 375. Lay out a wonton wrapper and fill it with 1/2 tbsp of the mix. Wet the edges and seal them together to make a triangle. Continue for the rest of the wrappers. Spray a cookie sheet with pam and lay down the wontons. Spray the tops with pam so they can get crispy. Place in the oven for about 12 minutes or until crispy. Be sure to flip them 1/2 way through so they can evenly get crispy. Enjoy


Nutrition facts for 4 Rangoons:
Calories- 152
Carbs-20
Fat-1
Protein- 11
Sodium - 659
Fiber - 1



No comments:

Post a Comment